Global Impact is an international service-learning opportunity open to Seattle Colleges students, faculty, and staff, as well as to healthcare professionals, educators, and members of the broader community. Global Impact collaborates with medical, educational, and service-orientated organizations delivering global health-related volunteer service in developing countries.
Global Impact provides travel opportunities beyond locations typical to those studying abroad. Between our three campuses, Seattle Colleges has dozens of allied health programs. Healthcare professionals and community members have demonstrated interest and experience in volunteering time and expertise in the developing world.
Our volunteers develop skills and grow in awareness and appreciation in the following areas:
- Cultural and socio-economic diversity
- Effective communication with non-native English speakers
- How to provide services to non-western populations, including adaptation to culture and values
- How to triage
- The value of lifelong service to the local and global community
NOTE: Given the uncertainty of the current global situation and the State Department's Peru Travel Advisory, we have made the difficult decision to cancel Peru Quest 2022. We hope you will join us next year in Summer 2023!
Peru Quest Summer 2023: Healthcare and Public Health Infrastructure Projects (dates to be determined)
Cusco, once the capital of the Incas, is now a UNESCO World Heritage City. Our Global Impact Peru projects will include delivering healthcare education and services in schools and village clinics to marginalized communities surrounding this historic city. In addition, we will participate in strategic environmental and healthcare projects to prevent deforestation and health maladies. There is also an opportunity to visit Macchu Picchu!
PERU QUEST INFORMATION SESSION
Recording from our most recent information session. The content of our information session is also available in a PDF format.
GLOBAL IMPACT TRIP TO PERU
Global Impact volunteers share some of their experiences from a trip to Peru.
Interested in applying for Peru Quest Summer 2023? See our Global Impact Application Guide below. After you read the guide, if you would like to be a participant or a group leader, contact Global@seattlecolleges.edu.
Global Impact Application Guide
- These trips will run only after reaching our minimum enrollment. Book your flights as refundable or with cancellation insurance (available with most credit cards) OR wait until you have received confirmation from Seattle Colleges Global Impact that the trip is a "go" before you book your ticket. Seattle Colleges typically knows for sure about which trips will run or if we need to do a cancellation by April 1. Sign up early so that your application will count toward this decision-making. If we need to cancel a trip, you will be offered the chance to switch a different trip or will have your deposit refunded.
- There is a $200 non-refundable application fee that must be included with your application form in order to reserve your place. Deadline for applications is June 1. This fee will be refunded if Seattle Colleges cancels the trip or you are not accepted into the program you applied to join. It will not be refunded if you do not receive a scholarship - or for any other reason. Please do not apply if you may not be able to participate due to funds.
- Limited scholarship funding is available for Seattle Colleges students with a deadline of April 1, 2023. Students may be eligible to receive a Gilman Scholarship to fund their Global Impact trip. Please see your campus study abroad advisor for details and to apply.
- Your final fees are due by or at orientation. No exceptions.
- Participants are required to have emergency medical insurance (insurance which will cover you overseas and must include medical evacuation, repatriation of remains, and natural disaster and political evacuation. The District offers a subsidized rate with iNext insurance for $48 for the month surrounding your program (Note: iNext prices vary for participants who are 60 and over).
- Optional college credits are available for Seattle Colleges students at each of the three colleges. For more information on what courses you can register for in coordination with Global Impact programs, contact Global@seattlecolleges.edu. In addition, a 5-credit course is available to individuals who are NOT students at the Seattle Colleges. Students from a variety of educational institutions, healthcare providers and educators from K-12 often participate to meet CEU/clock hour requirements. To learn more about this option, contact Karen.Kato@seattlecolleges.edu. If you are a student from one of our partner institutions, please check with your study abroad office about the availability of a course to register for in concert with this trip.
- Global Health courses are sometimes offered through the Seattle Colleges.
- Ready to go?! If you've already decided to sign up, we recommend you look up language learning opportunities for the country you will visit.